It has been my pleasure to serve at Mercy College as an Instructor in the School of Business, Assistant Dean in the School of Business, Academic Unit Head for the Master of Science in Human Resource Management, Academic Unit Head for the Master of Science in Organizational Leadership, and as a Managing Director in the Strategic Consulting Institute. I started full-time at Mercy College in September of 2016. Prior to that, I served as an Adjunct Instructor at Mercy College and taught several courses in the School of Business from 2013 to 2016. 

Before teaching at Mercy College, I earned an MBA in Finance from the Duke University Fuqua School of Business and worked in asset management at New York Life Insurance. My work at New York Life Insurance included portfolio management analysis for $3.5 Billion of Special Markets assets and implementing automated customer processes during a surge of investments throughout the 2008 Recession. I have drawn heavily on these real-world finance experiences as I teach in Mercy College classrooms. In 2010, I started my own communications consulting company in which I trained professionals in public speaking and presentation skills. My company served the training needs of Fortune 500 Companies, Federal Agencies, Academic Institutions, Non-profits, and CEOs. My teaching style draws on my diverse experience in communications, finance, and training.

TEACHING SUMMARY

This section will provide a summary of teaching accomplishments. For detailed information, please see Annual Summary Activity Forms, Professional Development Form, Classroom Observation Forms, Course Evaluations, Course Syllabi, and Videos of Teaching.

Before starting full-time at Mercy College, I gained expertise in the Mercy College MBA content by teaching as an adjunct professor for many different courses including Finance, Quantitative Analysis, Management, and Communications. As a full-time instructor since 2016, I have concentrated on teaching the following three different courses in the MBA program: 

MBAA 505 Economic Environment of Business

MBAA 601 Quantitative Methods in Business Research 

MBAA 602 Managerial Economics

Student Evaluations

The end of course evaluations in this dossier range from good to exceptional. The student comments demonstrate that the instructor has an impressive ability to explain complex concepts and inspire students to learn. The comments frequently mention the effective overall structure of the courses; students often mention effective components such as in-class discussions, interactive learning, quizzes, and support materials such as class videos. Many of the comments speak to the instructor's sincere desire to help the students and the instructor's passion for teaching quantitative skills.

The student comments also offer areas for improvement. A few comments offer suggestions, and I have taken all of those suggestions very seriously. An important insight on the evaluations is that when the evaluation scores are lower, those evaluations are generally not accompanied by negative comments. This seems to indicate that some disgruntled students are not leaving comments, and I have reflected at length about how I can engage students who may be frustrated but not necessarily vocal about their frustration. 

Teaching Nomination

During the 2018-2019 academic year, I was nominated for two teaching awards. One was the Teaching Excellence Award for Full-Time Faculty, and the other was a Mavie Award. The Teaching Excellence Award for Full-Time Faculty is a college-wide award that recognizes high quality teaching and excellence in learning over the past academic year. The nominations are processed by the Teaching and Learning Committee. The Mavie Awards are managed by the Office of Student Life. To be nominated for a Mavie Award is considered a special honor because of the student involvement in the award process. 

Pedagogy and Recent Improvements

For teaching, I draw on my extensive experience in finance and management to teach statistical, economic, and business concepts. Over my second and third year of full-time teaching, I worked to improve the pedagogy in my classes. Two notable improvements were in-class exercises and the use of Open Educational Resources. The cannon of in-class exercises that I have developed helps students understand statistical and economic concepts by discussing steps with classmates and by presenting conclusions to the entire class. Over the 2018-2019 academic year, I made more extensive use of these in-class exercises, and this has been particularly well received by the students. Another new development for 2018-2019 has been my use of Open Educational Resources (OER) provided by Lumen Learning materials for MBAA 505 and MBAA 602. Lumen Learning provides OER resources that can be used as course textbooks and in other supplemental ways. The OER materials allow students to use online textbooks at a fraction of the cost of traditional textbooks. Additionally, students have immediate access to the OER materials at the start of the course. Furthermore, the OER materials can be organized in convenient Blackboard folders for efficient presentation to the students, and OER materials can be edited by the instructor to present different content or exclude content that will not be covered in class. While there were some transition issues, overall the Lumen platform has been well-received by the students. The students especially like the affordable price and the immediate access to the content.

SERVICE SUMMARY

Over the course of my full-time work at Mercy College, I have serviced as Assistant Dean in the School of Business, Academic Unit Head for the Master of Science in Human Resource Management, Academic Unit Head for the Master of Science in Organizational Leadership, and as a Managing Director in the Strategic Consulting Institute. I have also served on several committees, and I have worked on many individual projects in the School of Business. A summary of this service is provided here; for detailed information, please see Annual Summary Activity Forms.

Assistant Dean

During the 2016-2017 academic year, I served as Assistant Dean of the School of Business; in this capacity, I worked on student retention, various administrative tasks, Open Educational Resources, and exploratory research in study abroad programs. Freshman retention was my main priority, and I led initiatives to coordinate retention efforts with the PACT office, the Office of Student Life, and the Office of ACCESSibility. Other projects and administrative tasks are described in more detail in the 2016-2017 Annual Summary Activity Form. One especially noteworthy project was working with a vendor company called Lumen Learning that supplied an Open Educational Resource (OER) platform for students to utilize online textbooks at very low costs. 

Academic Unit Head

During my second full-time year at Mercy in 2017-2018, I served as Academic Unit Head for the Master of Science in Human Resource Management (MSHRM) and as Academic Unit Head for the Master of Science in Organizational Leadership (MSOL). As of Spring Quarter 2018, there were 67 students in the HRMG program and 55 students in the MSOL program, and both programs had a combined 33 adjunct and full-time professors. I managed admissions and recruiting for these programs, served the current students, hired and managed adjunct professors, developed and standardize course content, secured program certifications, and managed the annual assessments. More details are discussed in the 2017-208 Annual Summary Activity Form. 

Strategic Consulting Institute

For all three of my full-time years at Mercy College, I served as a Managing Director of the Strategic Consulting Institute (SCI). The SCI allows graduate business students to engage in consulting projects for local businesses and organizations. The primary role of a Managing Director is to oversee individual student consulting projects. Other Managing Director duties include recruiting companies as potential clients, recruiting students as potential consultants, and attending Advisory Board meetings and other events to expand SCI awareness. The role of Managing Director can be very difficult because it requires a balance between giving the students a real-world challenge and giving the students a manageable challenge. Also, because the students do not earn credit and do this work strictly on a volunteer basis in order to gain experience, the levels of motivation vary drastically among students. The responsibility for maintaining the right balance and for completing a successful project often falls on the managing director. Since 2016, I have led several SCI projects and made other contributions to the SCI for the benefit of the students. Full details are discussed in the Annual Summary Activity Forms. 

Committee Work

For all three years at Mercy College, I have served on the Graduate Leadership Committee (GLC), which is a committee of graduate business professors, adjunct professors, and administrators. This committee evaluates the work of the three graduate business programs (MBA, MSOL, and HRMG) and executes long-term and short-term projects to enhance these programs. During the academic year 2017-2018, I served on a related committee known as the Graduate Leadership Team (GLT), which consists of Academic Unit Heads in the MBA, HRMG, and MSOL programs, and other administrative leaders in Graduate Business Programs. Full details are discussed in the Annual Summary Activity Forms.

In 2017-2018, I started my service on the Graduate Curriculum Committee, and for the 2018-2019 academic year, I was elected as co-chair of this important committee. This is a committee that reviews and approves curriculum changes and program self-studies for all graduate programs at Mercy College. Membership on this committee requires a familiarity with various standards and regulations of both Mercy College and the New York State Department of Education.

During the Academic Year 2018-2019, I served as Chair for the Sara Whitney Williams Endowed Scholarship. As per the donor’s wishes, this scholarship is awarded to a female business student based on a combination of need and merit. Because 2018-2019 was the first year of this scholarship, a number of process and compliance procedures were carefully developed. More details are discussed in the 2018-2019 Annual Summary Activity Form.

Delta Mu Delta

One notable, multiple-year project for the School of Business was providing support for the Delta Mu Delta honor society. In Spring of 2018, I served as the faculty advisor and as Master of Ceremonies for the Mercy College Delta Mu Delta induction event, and in Spring of 2019, I served as Master of Ceremonies for the event. Delta Mu Delta is an honor society for business students, and it is one of a small number of recognized designations in business education. 

SCHOLARSHIP AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITY SUMMARY

Ph.D. Program in Business Administration 

In the summer of 2017, I started a Ph.D. program in Business Administration at Hampton University. As of August 2019, I have completed 43 credit hours in the program and earned a GPA of 4.03. My anticipated date of graduation is May 2020. This program has allowed me to delve into business concepts from a research perspective. I have gained a better understanding of the rigorous research that underlies the concepts that are taught in MBA classes, and at the same time, I have become more adept at teaching these concepts to Mercy College students. I have also studied research on pedagogy, and I have benefited from understanding the enduring conclusions on best teaching methods.

I have also conducted original research in two areas, both of which are relevant to content that is taught in the Mercy College MBA program. One area of my research involves analyzing the effect of past interest rates on current economic performance; this is a fundamental concept in Economics, and I expand the traditional understanding of this concept by using data from many months or many years in the past to predict current economic performance. The second area of my research involves analyzing the value of financial accounting statements. In the Mercy MBA program, we teach accounting principles to students; as such, my research has allowed me to better understand the underlying accounting theories, and my research has allowed me to provide students with interesting background information on the value of the concepts that they are learning in class.

In the spring of 2018, I published my first article in The Journal of Management and Innovation Vol 4 No 1 (2018): Spring. The article was entitled, “Rideshare Companies Uber and Lyft Strongly Affect Taxi and Rental Car Industries”. The article explained results of statistical analyses comparing the performance of rideshare companies with the performance of rental car companies and the New York City taxicab industry. See full article in Peer-Reviewed Scholarship Section.

In the summer of 2018, I published a second article in The Journal of Business and Finance Research Vol 7 Issue 1 Spring/Summer 2018. The article is entitled, “The Effect of Past Interest Rates on Current Market Performance”. I published this article with two co-authors, Dr. Sid Howard Credle, Ph.D., and Dr. Michael McLain, DBA. These two co-authors are professors in my Ph.D. program at Hampton University. That article includes groundbreaking research comparing past interest rates from up to 80 months in the past to various stock market indices. See full article in Peer-Reviewed Scholarship Section.

In the fall of 2018, I published an article entitled, “Stepwise Regression to Predict Market Performance in the Janet Yellen Era” in The Journal of Management and Innovation Vol 4 No 2 (2018): Fall 2018. This article is an extension of my earlier work on the correlation of market performance and past interest rates. See full article in Peer-Reviewed Scholarship Section.

In the spring of 2019, I published an article entitled, "A Reevaluation of the Work of William Beaver in 1968" in The Journal of Management and Innovation Vol 4 No 2 (2019): Spring 2019. My co-author was Dr. Leslie L. West, Ph.D. who was a professor in my Ph.D. program at Hampton University. The research in this article involves empirical testing to determine whether or not company earnings announcements contain information that is valuable and timely. See full article in Peer-Reviewed Scholarship Section.

Chartered Financial Analyst 

In December of 2018, I earned the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation. The CFA measures the competence of a financial analyst; it is one of the most difficult financial certifications; and the percentage of candidates who have successfully completed all three exams is 15.5% (Hayes, 2019). The requirements for earning this designation include passing three CFA examinations and fulfilling at least 48 months of relevant work experience. The CFA designation is the most recognized and most respected investment management designation in the world (CFA Institute, n.d.). The level of achievement and experience that the CFA represents is an excellent example for the Mercy College business students, and the expertise gained from working through the CFA curriculum is a valuable teaching enhancement.

References 

1) CFA Institute. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfa.

2) Hayes, A. (2019). Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). Retrieved from https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/cfa.asp