Source Analysis Template:
Pick one of the sources you will be using for your research project and follow the steps outlined below:
- Read the article critically (using the strategies for the short essays assignments).
- Answer the following questions:
- What is the article/text about?
This article examines risks that children and youth face in America’s schools to determine whether there is a trend toward increasing violent school deaths in America and noting the overall incidence of crime, particularly homicides, inside versus outside of the schools.
- What is the underlying message of the article/text?
- The underlying message of the article text is it indicates the article that recent school shootings were extremely distinctive events and not part of any trend. The likelihood of becoming a victim of a school associated violent death is less than one in on million. While adults kill most children killed by guns, children are killed in gun accidents at 23 times the rate they are killed in schools. American children are 12 times more likely to die from gun than children in 25 other industrialized countries.
- What evidence does the author use to back up his/her claim?
The evidence author use to back up his claim is the data come from the department of education, department of justice, FBI, centers for disease control and prevention, national school safety center, national safe kids campaign, office of juvenile justice and delinquency prevention, center to prevent handgun violence, bureau of justice statistics, and newspaper clipping to obtain school related violence data.
- What is the bias of the author(s)? How will that affect the perspective of the article/text?
The author really has no bias as the author covers all perspectives of school shootings rampage. The author covers in the article text is; the after school programs, statistics, homicides, guns, public school and school shootings. This will affect the perspective of the article/ text in no way but an informative article regarding the risks that children and youth face in Americas schools to determine whether there is a trend toward increasing violent schools deaths in America and noting the overall incidence of crime, particularly homicides.
- How will you use or incorporate that information into your project?
How I will use this information into my project is towards the project address the questions/issues what patterns/warning sigs that’s makes this a trend and compare and contrast statistics of those in other countries such as third world countries.
- 3. Be sure to properly cite the source. The source analysis should be between 1 to 2 pages max. It does not have to be in the form of an essay.
Donohue, Elizabeth, “School House Hype: School Shootings And The Real Risks Kids Face In America.” Annie E. Casey Foundation, Baltimore, M.D 1998-07-00