Cavities may be the least of your worries though at this point. People have been doing some new studies about me and have now been able to link oral bacteria to be causing certain diseases and even a more serious cardiovascular disease. I, S. mutans, am able to migrate into a person's bloodstream after they have caused some serious harm to their teeth and even to their gums. After that I can migrate to someones coronary arteries and can cause some serious blood clots which then can restrict Oxygen and blood flow.

There is another thing that I can do... Maybe I shouldn't tell you... Or maybe I will, so you can be educated on how to prevent this! The other process I can do is I can release the C-Reactive Proteins as a response by the liver to the presence of these bacteria in the bloodstream. Stay with me now, this is important to know. It's a a lot of information but it's best if you keep following along.. The CRP will induce the clot formation as well as the thickening of the artery walls. So now all of these processes can and will contribute to and ultimately will lead to a very severe cardiovascular problem..

That's the heart if you didn't already know. So watch out because cavities won't be the only problem if you don't take care of your mouth!

5) The Role of Streptococcus mutans And Oral Ecology in the Formation of Dental Caries | JYI – The Undergraduate Research Journal. (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2016, from http://www.jyi.org/issue/the-role-of-streptococcus-mutans-and-oral-ecology-in-the-formation-of-dental-caries/